Saturday, November 23, 2013

VMWare on W7

From some of my previous articles, people know that I have been using VirtualBox for sometime on Linux systems for a variety of tasks but primarily to run Windows as I’m not a big fan of dual-booting. After discussions with others who use type 2 hypervisors, I decided it was time to give VMWare a whirl so I installed it on my wife’s laptop running Windows 7 allowing me to be more comfortable using my Linux distribution in place of Windows. With so many people promoting VMWare, including my cousin over at Apple, I had high expectations from this software and still do aside from the following error I had to get through to install on the laptop.

When the first installation didn’t go through I was actually very surprised and preceded to try the installation again. On the second go around I got the following error:



Well, these things just happen now and again so I turned to my friends at Google and see what I can dig up. A few different opinions as to what the problem could be, many of which involve Avast but that’s not the issue in my case.

Another problem some people seemed to have was not having appropriate permissions to install the software on their machine so following those directions make sure to have administrative rights on the machine. Odds are good this is not the problem with most installations so on to the solution that worked.

Follow the path as shown in the image above and DELETE everything in the Temp folder. I had some 600+ files sitting in there which are all unnecessary stuff used by various programs and operations performed at one point or another. It’s completely safe to delete these files and if a person runs Disk Cleanup religiously, it should keep the files down to a manageable state.


Once the Temp folder has been cleared out, restart the computer and navigate over to the installation file for VMWare again BUT instead of simply clicking to install, perform a right click which should bring up an options window and click on “ Run as Administrator”. At this point the installation should go as planned.

Gotta love those small bugs that keep you on your toes.

No comments:

Post a Comment